About Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral
Notre Dame de Paris cathedral is one of the most iconic attractions of Paris. Along with the Eiffel Tower, is one of the most important symbols of Paris. Notre Dame Cathedral address is 6 Parvis Notre-Dame and Place Jean-Paul II, 75004 Paris, arrondissement 4.
It is in the very heart of Paris, on one of its islands, the Ile Saint-Louis.
This church in Paris has always been one of the most visited in the world. It still is one of the most visited attractions in Paris. Just think that it is second to the Eiffel Tower, and it is more seen than the Louvre!
I suggest taking a cruise on the Seine after seeing this unique attraction. Also, you can circumnavigate the island and see almost every corner of the church from the outside. The real plus idea is to take a cruise at night. Notre Dame at night is even more stunning!
Notre-Dame de Paris reopening on Good Friday 2020
Notre-Dame Cathedral re-opening day is set. The church will reopen on Friday 10 April 2020.
Good Friday celebrations will be held in Notre-Dame.
This will be the first re-opening after the fire!
The news has been confirmed by the archbishop Michel Aupetit, specifying that the access is allowed to a very restricted committee. The archbishop also said that he was originally planning a traditional procession to celebrate Good Friday 2020. But, given the Coronavirus in Paris situation, it is no longer possible. Anyway, the traditional liturgical ceremony will take place inside the cathedral.
This re-opening is the possibility of maintaining French traditions alive.
Notre Dame, after the fire 2020 updates
After the cathedral fire, the news is that people are working to make Notre Dame great again. But, this is going to take a long time. From now on till new updates about Notre Dame Cathedral, you can only admire the famous church from outside.
Unfortunately, works might continue at least until 2022. Many things have been destroyed during Notre Dame fire 2019. But, two deeply important objects have been saved: the tunic of Saint Louis and the crown of thorns of Christ. Another unique feature of this church is safe: the Rose du Midi, the famous rose window.
What survived Notre Dame Cathedral fire is the main structure. Also, the rooster from the iconic spire was saved! Plus, artifacts and artworks that were inside the Notre Dame Cathedral were saved by Parisian fire services. If you are concerned about the possibility of seeing the famous statues of the 12 apostles and four evangelists, just note that they are safe but removed for cleaning.
Unfortunately, even if you can’t visit the interiors already, you can still see part of the outsides. Even if it may seem less majestic that back in the days, Notre-Dame de Paris still is iconic, with the two towers that identify it.
Notre Dame de Paris bites
The Notre Dame Cathedral was studied from so many experts and France lovers that you can find plenty of books about it. That is why I want to give you the essentials about Notre Dame de Paris. This way, you will know what you need to and deepen what makes you curious.
- Notre Dame de Paris architect. Since the construction of Notre Dame de Paris lasted more than a century, there is no unique architect who made it. This gothic masterpiece was made by Jean de Chelles, Pierre de Montreuil, Piere de Chelles, Jean Ravy, and Raymond du Temple. Also, the architects who restored Notre Dame made huge work. The most famous is Viollet-le-Duc.
- How to go to Notre Dame. If you want to go to Notre Dame Cathedral by the metro, I suggest taking the metro line 4 to get off at Cité. Also, you can take the RER B or the RER C and get off at St-Michel Notre-Dame. This stop is on the opposite side of the cathedral. You will only have to cross a bridge! Other opportunities are buses – taking numbers 21, 24, 27, 38, 96, 85 or 47.
- More Notre Dame than in the church. If you want to know more about this Paris symbol, I recommend going to the Architecture Museum, at Trocadéro. There, you will find an entire area dedicated to Notre Dame Cathedral – from the initial project to Viollet-le-Duc intervention.
- The center of France. If Rome is Caput Mundi, Notre-Dame surely might be the center of France. From a star put on the floor of the cathedral, it is possible to calculate the distance of other cities and towns of France from that point.
- Notre Dame tickets and hours. Notre Dame Cathedral hours used to be from 8 am to 6.45 pm. Now, until new updates, you can’t visit Notre Dame from the inside. Anyway, the access used to be free, there was no ticket cost.
Visualizza questo post su Instagram
Tips about Notre Dame Cathedral
Advice! You can admire Notre Dame Cathedral from two special spots from where you can admire its façade. Go to Quai Saint Michel or Quai Montebello! Also, you can go to the bookstore Shakespeare and Company, other peculiar spots from where you can see Notre Dame. There is no possibility to access Notre Dame until any updates.
Important! Many people wonder if it is safe coming to Paris after Notre Dame cathedral fire in 2019. The city was already safe the day after and it still is! Breathing the air of Paris is not dangerous.
Last but not least. You will find many tours of Notre Dame de Paris, whether the church is open or not. The real advice is about that is to look for the ones that at least make you experience that area of Paris like a local. I always look for a “Secret Paris” experience. It’s exciting to see something from a local perspective. If you would like to have a listing service of the best “Secret Paris” tours, contact me!